Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday - Zuppa Toscana

I probably haven't mentioned this, but I've been on a bit of a psychic spree making predictions this week. (Go with me on this one...) And, I'm almost 100% (Side note: After careful consideration, I will be 100%...I said it would happen. I didn't actually specify when....hmmm...You know who I am talking to...) Anyway, in the fine tradition I've established, I made yet another prediction yesterday. I predicted I was getting a cold....and, sure enough, I woke up this morning with a raging cold...UGH!

This got me thinking about the colds of my youth (Nice, huh? Reminiscing about the good times.......What the hey???) and I thought of how my grandma would make homemade chicken noodle soup whenever any of us kids were sick. That soup was DIVINE, the very elixir of health. And, it would always make us feel better. So, I decided that I needed soup today, but since I have no chicken ready to cook, I'm going to have to go with another family favorite...Zuppa Toscana.

For those of you who don't recognize the name, this is one of those soups they serve over at Olive Garden. It's the white one with the potatoes and sausage. Anyway, I've got a good recipe for it. (Please don't ask me where I got it...probably someplace online a million years ago!) Anyway, if you've ever had the soup at Olive Garden and liked it, you're going to be happy with this recipe. So, venture out, try something new...Remember, a kitchen is a place of adventure for those with a brave heart and singed oven mitt! Enjoy the recipe!


I'm off to get my bits of heaven off to school before making soup and surrendering to my bed for the day. (Thank heavens for days off!)

(Side note: I think my predictions days are over....for now, anyway!)





Zuppa Toscana

1 lb ground Italian sausage
1-1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
1 large onion, diced
1/2 pound bacon, cut into 3/4" pieces
2 tsp minced garlic
10 cups water and 5 cubes chicken bouillon OR 5 cans chicken broth and 1 cup water
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb sliced Russet potatoes (about 3 large)
1/4 bunch of kale, chopped (about 2 cups)

Saute the Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat and remove from pot. Refrigerate while preparing the other ingredients.

In the same pot, saute the onion, bacon and garlic for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.

Mix together chicken bouillon and water and add it to the pot. (Or, just pour in the chicken broth and water.) Cook until boiling.

Add potatoes and cook until soft, about 30 minutes or so.

Add the heavy cream and cook until thoroughly heated. (This only takes a minute or two.)

Stir in the sausage and heat through.

Add the kale to the pot just before serving. (I usually give it a minute or two to cook down a little...)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment